Applications for Certificates of Lost Passports, Passport Extension and Laissez-Passer/Travel Documents should be sent to:
Embassy of the Republic of Congo
1720 16th Street, NW
Washington, D.C 20009
Tel: 202 726 5500 / 202 986 5740
Hours of Operation:
Monday Through Friday
Drop off Hours: 10:30 a.m to 12:00 pm
Pick-up Hours: 01:30 pm to 03:30 pm
The processing time for all consular services requests take up between 5-7 business days. The Consulate of the Republic of Congo in Washington, D.C does not offer any rush or expedited services.
As of 2015, the Government of the Republic of Congo has been issuing CEMAC ( Central African Economic and Monetary Community) passport which every Congolese citizen is obligated to have. Unfortunately, the Embassy of the Republic of Congo does not issue the CEMAC passports at this time. The Embassy of the Republic of Congo highly encourages Congolese citizens traveling to the Republic of Congo to apply for the CEMAC Passport during their stay. Furthermore, the Consulate Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Congo to the United States of America, wishes to inform its citizens, that it does not extend the validity of CEMAC passports nor does it extend the validity of any Congolese biometric Passport. Once a CEMAC Passport has expired, every Congolese citizen is obligated to apply for a new CEMAC passport in the Republic of Congo. Congolese Citizens living in the United States of America, Canada and Mexico and whose passports have expired will need to apply in person for a biometric CEMAC passport in the Republic of Congo. Prior to their departure, they must apply for a Travel Document or Laissez-Passer at the Consulate Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Congo in Washington, D.C.
The Embassy of the Republic of Congo highly encourages its citizens living in Canada, the United States of America and Mexico to inform the authorities at the Embassy if they lose their passport. Notifying the Embassy is very important because it prevents fraudulent use of your passport.
In order to declare a lost Congolese passport and obtain a certificate of lost passport, the applicant must provide the following documents:
- A copy of the lost or stolen passport. The Embassy highly encourages its citizens to always keep a photocopy of their Congolese passport with them ;
- A police report certifying that your passport is lost or was stolen ;
- An official letter addressed to the Ambassador of the Republic of Congo in Washington D.C., in which the applicant informs the Embassy about his lost passport and his intention to apply for a certificate of lost passport.
- Due to some undisclosed reasons, the Embassy of the Republic of Congo to the United States of America is no longer accepting Business checks. The Lost Passport Certificate fees will still remain at 20.00 U.S Dollars. As of August 20th, 2014, only cash (only if physically present) and money orders will be accepted as the only form of payment for Lost Passport Certificate fees. Furthermore, the money order should be paid to the order of , " Embassy of the Republic of Congo ." All consular services fees are non-refundable. Be aware that the Embassy of the Republic of Congo to the USA does NOT accept Mexican Postal checks under any circumstances.
Congolese citizens who wish to travel to the Republic of Congo but whose passports are lost, stolen, or expired, will need to apply for a Travel Document or a Laissez Passer in order to travel. However, it is important to note 3 facts about the Travel Document /Laissez Passer:
- It is valid only valid for 30 days ( One Month). After 30 days, the Travel Document expires ;
- It is only valid for the Republic of Congo. No Visa of any country may be stamped on it ;
- It is a one way Travel Document, meaning that Congolese citizens will have to apply for a new passport while in the Republic of Congo because they will not be able to travel back to the United States of America or Mexico or any other country with a Laissez-Passer or Travel Document.
Applicants must provide the following documents to apply for a travel document/laissez-passer :
- Two colored passport photographs (2*2 inches or 51 *51 mm). It is the same size required for American Passport Photos ;
- A clear photocopy of your previous Congolese passport or a copy of a certified Congolese birth certificate for proof of citizenship ;
- A second readable and colored photocopy of any form of previous or current ID to double check the identity of the Travel Document applicant ( Example: School ID, U.S Green Card, Canadian Permanent Resident Card, Driver's License or Consular Card); Holders of a U.S Green Card, Canadian Permanent Resident Card or Mexican Resident Card are obliged to submit a clear copy of their legal immigration status in their country of residence;
- A clear and readable document that proves the legal status of the Travel Document Laissez Passer applicant in the United States of America or Mexico ( E.g Copy of US Green Card, Copy of USA F1 student Visa, Copy of H1B visa, Copy of G4 Visa, etc)
- A signed and typewritten letter addressed to his H.E Ambassador Serge Mombouli, in which the applicant requests the issuance of a travel document. The letter must bear the applicant's full name, home address, email and a telephone number. Please note that this letter can be written in either French or English ;
- Due to some undisclosed reasons, the Embassy of the Republic of Congo to the United States of America is no longer accepting Business checks. The Laissez Passer fees will still remain at 20.00 U.S Dollars. As of August 20th, 2014, only cash (only if physically present) and money orders will be accepted as the only form of payment for Laissez Passer fees. Furthermore, the money order should be paid to the order of , " Embassy of the Republic of Congo ." Be aware that the Embassy of the Republic of Congo to the USA does NOT accept Canadian or Mexican Postal checks under any circumstances.
- A copy of your flight reservation or itinerary for the Republic of Congo
- A prepaid Fedex, UPS or USPS envelope with a TRACKING NUMBER to return your Travel Document/Laissez Passer. Canadian Prepaid Postal or Mexican Prepaid Postal Envelopes are not accepted.
Information to apply for a CEMAC Biometric Passport ( exclusively in the Republic of Congo)
All Congolese passport applicants must present themselves physically in the Republic of Congo. The Embassy of the Republic of the Congo in Washington, DC does not receive or process any passport applications at this time. Please be aware that CEMAC biometric passports are only valid for 5 years and cannot be extended under any circumstances. When it reaches its date of expiration, the passport bearer is obliged to apply for a new CEMAC biometric passport.
Documents required for a Congolese CEMAC biometric passport application:
- An application form which is obtained at the Office of Emigration at the DGST ( Direction Générale de la Surveillance Territoriale) ;
- A copy of the Congolese original birth certificate ;
- 60,000 FCFA (approximately US $ 140) for the passport application fees ;
- A copy of the Congolese nationality certificate or a Congolese national identity card ;
- Photocopy of the former Congolese passport or other passport in the event of an application for Congolese citizenship ;
- A document attesting the profession of the CEMAC biometric passport applicant ;
- If you are married, a legalized copy of the marriage certificate ;
- Your criminal record extract detailing your personal history with the judicial institutions of the Republic of Congo or your country of residence for the last five years ;
- 2 photos (format 4cmx4cm with a white background and an impassive face facing the camera).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Consulate Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Congo in Washington, D.C., highly encourages all consular services applicants to fulfill all the requirements listed above. Refusal to provide all the correct documents will result in the systematic rejection of your consular services requests.